Sunday, December 30, 2007

Daily Draw: Victorian Flower Oracle ~ Hawthorn

A pair of garden shears menace a mother and two children. The card is titled A necessary evil. We certainly filled our modern world up with those. Look to the right I see my cell phone, with me 24 hours a day. I'm on call 24 hours a day but still...It is a silken chain. In front of me, my computer. I have loved my computer since the first day I sat down to one 11 years ago but still...my house isn't as clean as I once kept it, I don't quilt as much as I used to, time drifts away...Is that a good thing? Probably not.

When I think of the damage and evil people get up to with computers I wish they'd never been invented. But in truth, those people would and have always gotten up to evil, the computer is just another tool to work with. We are surrounded daily by necessary evils, how we accept them into our lives is what is important.

"Once we assuage our conscience by calling something a necessary evil, it begins to look more and more necessary and less and less evil." ~ Sydney J. Harris 1917-1986

The deck this week is from Magic Realist Press, The Victorian Flower Oracle, 2006. 40 beautiful cards featuring art from 1840's engravings by French artist JJ Grandville.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn