Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Daily Draw: Runic Tarot ~ Tradition

Families and traditions and genetics. How many of us thought we must be adopted because nobody in the world understood us? How many of us beat the snot out of the schoolyard bully for picking on our little brother, and then went home and promptly did the same thing? The old "I can say he is an idiot, but don't you dare do it" syndrome. I know a family where everyone says "well fer cryin' upstairs in a bucket" when they are put out. That can only be inherited. You can sit and talk to my sister-in-law and see her make the same hand and facial movements as her mother, but she hasn't seen her in 60 years. I smile a painful smile at the little guy in the big statue because in my effort to be nothing like my mother I turned into my mother.

I'm reminded by this card that ancestor worship is the religion of a good portion of the world. They take seriously that their line remain unbroken and that the traditions of their family continue. I very much admire and respect that but my mother lives about 2 hours from me and I haven't seen her since last summer. Not much I can say to make that a better picture.

"Man is physically as well as metaphysically a thing of shreds and patches, borrowed unequally from good and bad ancestors, and a misfit from the start." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson 1808-1882

The Runic Tarot by Caroline Smith and John Astrop is an odd deck to call tarot, probably a publisher thing rather than an artist and writer thing. It has 24 Majors, based on the 24 runes of the Futhark with 4 suits of Minors based on the 4 seasons, astrology, the zodiac, and the elements. I think the art is wonderful, therefore I own the deck. We shall see this week, how it reads...

1 comment:

  1. I love the artwork in the Runic Tarot, and also in Caroline Smith's other decks such as the Elemental Tarot. I agree that the Runic is Tarot in name only, and is really an oracle deck. I like the progessional seasonal aspect of the deck, and pulled the corresponding weekly card for a year, to display on my study table.

    You might be interested in Smith/Altrop's website on their decks, and on the Runic Tarot in particular, at Runic Tarot

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn