Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Something Much Greater Than Me

Daily Draw: Royal Fez Moroccan Tarot ~ World

I've spent some time doing research on this card because at first glance the World card and the Wheel of Fortune card are similar in that you see 'what goes around comes around, or 'what's up must go down'. But none of the Wheel cards are flanked by the four corner figures, given variously as Taurus the Bull, Leo the Lion, Scorpio the Eagle and Aquarius the Man; or feminine and masculine, material and spiritual; the four evangelists from Ezekiel 1:10, angel eagle bull and lion; earth, fire, water, air. The one thing that I have gathered over the years is when connected to the Wheel card we are at the center; when connected to the World card we are at the outside of circle, part of it, but not it.

I'm reminded by this card that the World itself has cycles; long like the Ice Age, shorter like El NiƱo. Civilizations like the rise and fall of Rome and Egypt, the Inca and the Anasazi. In the greater scheme of things we have the option of believing we are but a grain of sand, or that yes, one person can make a difference. I just get tired some days when I've been ever vigilant on turning out lights, keeping the heat off, not driving anywhere, and then I see a night-time city chock full of tall buildings with all the lights on. What is the point? The point is how we feel about ourselves at the end of the day. Did we leave the world a better place, or did we toss in the towel and join the pigs?

"The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future." ~ Marya Mannes 1904-1990, More in Anger, 1958

2 comments:

  1. Loved this entry today. I always come away with something from your entries. Thank you for reminding me to stay away from the towel!

    Although, pigs are good, darn it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct, I cast an aspersion on our porcine friends and I apologize to them; piggish re: pigs is absolutely nothing compared to human piggishness.

    Thanks for stoppping by~

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn