Pages

Friday, June 20, 2008

Wiggle Wink and Twitch

Daily Draw: Enchanted Tarot ~ Death

Pssst, Mister, Got any bad habits?
More that you want to know, but when I was 13 my appendix burst and I spent 17 days in hospital. When I went into hospital I was a thumb sucker. When I came out I was instead, a lip chewer. I've not thought much about it since other than to be glad I'm not still at 50-something, sucking my thumb. But last week when getting ready for work I caught sight of myself in the mirror chewing my lip. It wasn't a pretty sight so I determined to stop the habit.

I'm reminded by this Death card that habits can be broken if we are vigilant and determined. I was amazed at how often I caught myself at it, every 5 minutes it seem at first. It reminded me of when I quit smoking. Yesterday only twice. I think I'm winning! Death to bad habits! They mean nothing in the course of history, but I don't think I've been chosen to make history, so I work with what I've been given. Do you have any tics and twitches you can turn your powerful self will on?

"Our character is basically a composite of our habits. Because they are consistent, often unconscious patterns, they constantly, daily, express our character" ~ Stephen Covey 1932-

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful take on the Death card! I'm learning so much from your fresh ideas about the Tarot!

    Those little habits like chewing your lip are so hard to break because you don't even realize you're doing them. I'm a lip biter, too - lately I have been putting lipstick on every half hour or so even when I'm home just because it tastes so crappy that I don't bite my lip if the lipstick is there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If humans weren't so funny we'd be completely pitiful wouldn't we :) I can't believe it took me nearly 40 years to even think about doing this. Quirk

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn