Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Better Late Than Never

Daily Draw: Grand Etteilla Tarot ~ Blonde Boy

When I'm away working at our farm the only thing I miss from home is doing my tarot blog. This week's deck is totally different from my other tarot decks; one I've wanted for a long time and which is usually way over my budget limit. I got lucky with this 1969 edition of the Grand Etteilla Egyptian-Gypsies Tarot printed in France by B.P. Grimaud. These cards are meant to be read with both reversals and uprights which I don't normally do, and the little volume that comes with it gives all manner of good fun in the author's interpretations of the basic nature of each card.

Today's draw is the #39 card, which perhaps relates to the 9 of cups. As I said this deck is all new to me. I may look forward to the help of a fair-haired boy in the upright stance, or reversed I will suffer from an inflammation of the intestines which will only be cured with enemas.

Dear me. I'm reminded by this card that there are a great number of good, true, honest tarot readers, and people like me who enjoy studying the history and symbology of tarot, and many who just collect decks for the amazing range of art. And there is the other side of the coin, those who put up their shingle with the sole purpose of using the cards to part a fool from his money. If you want a reading get a recommendation from a friend. If you get a reading, a real reading you are in for a true treat, and will probably enjoy going back one or two times a year there after. But...if you get a reading and the reader says you will be able to leave this dreadful curse upon you behind...if you pay $250 for 3 blue candles and an additional $300 for getting your aura cleansed... Laugh in their face, be glad you have some common sense and leave immediately with your money and brain intact. Thus endeth the sermon for this lovely July evening. I can hardly wait to see what the Grand Etteilla will bring us tomorrow.

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. The bamboozle has captured us. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back." ~ Carl Sagan 1934-1996

1 comment:

  1. Heehee, thank you! That bit about the enema made me laugh outloud. I needed that... the laugh, not an enema... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn