Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Breech the Defenses

Daily Draw: Ukiyoe Tarot ~ 9 of Wands

I have six people in their 80's and beyond with whom I deal on regular basis, so I've been observing the creep of age and the ravages of time from a close viewpoint. Keen minds that begin telling stories in loops, rejection of reality, joint replacement, failing eyesight, complicated medical and drug situations, regrets and grudges, loss of spouse, loss of home, loss of independence...Regardless of what kind of fail safe system they've built in preparation, by this time, rich or poor, there are breeches in the system.

I'm reminded by this card that in this life eventually everything comes down to time and self. All the money in the world won't save a failing mind or body, at some point it becomes a matter of pure personal determination until that final bit slips away. Whether we've been good or bad parents in the end makes zero difference, some children disappear, some step up to the plate. Higher power or not, there are no miracles in the 9th hour. I've learned a lot of valuable lessons in my position of observer, one of which is you don't grow stamina, iron will, the ability to get going when the going gets tough overnight. You live your life that way, and I despair for my generation who have had the best of the best but no backbone and determination. I expect we are in for an unhappy ride to the grave. There is no fail-safe plan, no one to protect us, no one to blame. Just us, facing age. Have you got what it will take? Are you laying a line of defenses of your own?

"I want to die young at a ripe old age." ~ Montague Francis Ashley Montagu 1905-1999

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sharyn,

    Your post really struck a chord with me today. My Mom is in her early 70's (just 19 years older than me) and each time I talk to her her memory fails her a bit more. She tells you exactly the same thing as the previous time you talked to her and you make the same responses - it is almost like the Twilight Zone.

    My Grandmother had Alzheimer's that started in her late 60's - I've tried to talk to my Mom and convince her to see the doctor as I've heard there is a new medication that can slow things down but she WILL not listen.

    I've already started taking steps to ward off this fate for myself. It is very scary.

    Sammie

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn