Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Fall Off The Wagon? Or Jump Off?

Daily Draw: Grand Etteilla Tarot ~ Traitor

Number 18, Traitor, is described as Judas Iscariot. Upright, betrayal by others; reversed, betrayal by self. This is sometimes associated with the 7 of swords or perhaps the Devil in a standard deck.

I can only think of one time I was betrayed by someone else and I'm sure I've spoken of it here. But by myself? Don't know as I've ever thought of it that way but surely it is a self betrayal to do what we laughingly refer to as 'just no will power'. I'm taking this sudden insight very seriously. If we are swearing off smoking, drinking, drugs, junk food, chewing our nails, lousy partners...looking at it as a betrayal of self when we choose to fall off the wagon is sobering business. Because it is always a choice. And we are the biggest traitors of all.

"For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men." ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero 106-43 B.C.

3 comments:

  1. That's a good reminder -- we choose our own behaviors. Thanks! (And I'm working on not chewing my nails...seriously). By the way, you live in Kalama? I'm not far south of you, in Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traitor is such a harsh word, isn't it? Filled with all these images of Judas and Benedict Arnold (who would have been hailed a hero if the English had won.) This so spoke to me, Quirk. Thank you very much. The idea of being a traitor to my own spirit really resonated with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Quirk,

    I tend not to use the betrayal as it seems too harsh as Arwen says .... I usually think it as more self-sabotage, and it can be bloody hard to spot at times!

    Blessings
    x Mouse

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn