Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Grossesse

Daily Draw: Grand Etteilla Tarot ~ Pregnancy

Card #63 follows the Ace of Swords format, for our author Etteilla in the reversed position it indicates a pregnancy that will have to be hidden and the sword represents the Sword of St. Peter. The Ace of Swords could certainly mean unwelcome news so for the first time this week we have an agreement.

In Etteilla's (1738-1791) day pregnancy was pretty much hidden anyway, not flaunted about like today. I laughed when I saw the French word for pregnancy, grossesse. "Eeu, Gross!" is what my mind shouts when I see a woman in her third tri-mester wearing skin tight knit top and low rider pants around town. I don't think there is anything charming, pretty, womanly, sweet about it...only gross. About as charming as the fat plumber with the tool belt pulling his pants down to half-mast.

I'm reminded by this card that each generation sees themselves as the only generation that has discovered sex, drugs, and music. In truth each generation has simply rediscovered a way to seem unique and it is part of growing up. In the mean time I'll avert my eyes and think about the reaction to Woodstock and my generation. "Eeu", my mother said...

"Our opinion of the world is also a confession of character." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson 1803-1882

1 comment:

  1. Ha, there are truly very few women who look good in skin-tight tops and low-rider jeans...preggers or not! LOL...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn