Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

Slinging Mud

Daily Draw: Grand Etteilla Tarot ~ Discussion

Numbered 3 in this deck and titled Discussion/Water, this card resembles the number 18 Moon Card in standard decks. It is a beautifully rendered one, notice the light and shadowed pillars, alert and sleeping canines, clear and cloudy sky. Our crustation looks like he is headed for the water this time rather than leaving it. Etteilla says it could mean gossip or even slander, or reversed, to expect rain on our picnic.

If I give gossip and slander any thought at all the mental image I get is 2-3 small minds yakking it up at the office water cooler or blocking the isle at the grocery store. Nothing better to do than talk about other people because they've chosen small dull lives for themselves. Or political candidates. What possesses the candidates and their staffs to start tearing down their opponent rather than talk about themselves and the issues and their platform. I've never met a fellow voter who says "yeah baby, I love the mudslinging part of campaigns". I think we have two fine presidential candidates this year, both with weaknesses and strengths. I sincerely hope they don't sink to the grocery isle depth of gossip and slander.

I'm reminded by this card, once again, that it is always important to seek the facts, not be swayed by sentences that start with "I heard..." or are voiced by someone with an ax to grind. Gossipers are right down there with child molesters in my book, because the harm they do can discolor a person's life forever.

"Fire and swords are slow engines of destruction, compared to the tongue of a gossip." ~ Richard Steele, Sr.

2 comments:

  1. This card is so similar to many Moon cards I've seen. What an interesting deck! Thanks so much for doing this one. I've been utterly fascinated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days...I'll spend a lot more than a week with it, it is good fun from the 'ye olde fortune teller' side, yet he has a lot of insight on the human condition in his book. One of the ATers trimmed all the keywords off and says it now fits in a 'toid tin. It's a very thick deck, I'd have to see it! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn