Pages

Monday, August 4, 2008

The Staff Of Life

Daily Draw: 1001 Nights Tarot ~ 5 of Cups

Today we see even bigger platters of food than on yesterday's card. Again, fresh bread, a wide selection of fruits, and beverages. I haven't traveled in the Middle and Far east where these tales originated but I've read a lot about old Egypt and bread and beer were literally the staff of life there, and today bread flour is government subsidized in order for the poor to get bread at about a penny per loaf. On a Pharaoh's big project a section of the workers village would be devoted to just ovens for making bread for the laborers, priests, and gods.

I'm reminded by this card with all the acres of items in today's well stocked grocery stores, most of us still consume just the basics. I've never eaten snails, star-fruit, unborn lamb or beef, buffalo, chai, octopus... all the gourmet labels neither spark my interest nor make my mouth water. But the smell of fresh bread baking? Believe me, I'm all over it...fresh fruit? If my fruit platter isn't full of choices I don't feel like I have any groceries in the house. So for all our myriad of differences across time and cultures, when you get down to basics we are much the same. If we started like this card, we'd find we have a lot more in common than differences I'd think. Too bad bombs and the lives of our youth come so cheap that governments can skip the getting to know each other step.

"There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread." ~ Mahatma Gandhi 1869-1948

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharyn,

    This is a lovely deck, have enjoyed very much reading your thoughts on the cards you draw. It is kind of interesting that you have had all Cups so far.

    Sammie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expected to not like it based on scuttlebutt :) but it really is lovely, and I'm not going to bother reading the volumes of stories, there is much to read in the cards themselves. I did get the entire works of Shakespeare and am working my way through them because I enjoyed my Shakespeare deck very much and knew reading with it would be enhanced by the stories behind the cards. I love Tarot! So much to learn and grow from or with...Sharyn/Quirk

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn