Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Walk A Mile

Daily Draw: Deviant Moon Tarot ~ 8 of Coins

At first glance this card looks to have all the elements of the usual 8 of Coins, a journeyman at his work, honing his skills. But on closer examination this fellow isn't pounding hammer on anvil; his right hand is pulling a cord that makes the cogs roll...that do what? The finished coins roll into or out of the fire, the red pipe is delivering molten what? It's 4 minutes to 12, why?

I'm reminded by this card that we haven't got a clue about someone's job until we've walked a mile in their shoes. We can see they are doing something in there but unless we've done the job ourself we won't get the nuances of the work, from the simple to the complex. Today I appreciate the myriad people's skills that go into making my day, none of which I usually think about. Like these men. My keyboard, the lamp before me, the carpet under my chair, the refrigerator, the stair rail, the bricks, the car...all made by craftsmen, all serving me well. Amazing. None of us are an island, we have ghosts of others around us 24 hours a day.

"You pretend to be more eccentric than you actually are because you fear you are an interchangeable cog." ~ Douglas Coupland 1961-

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to "Postcards From Cairo" I am so enjoying looking back through her blog. I was briefly in Cairo 2 years ago and love the chance to remember the experience.

    I'm also loving your posts on the Deviant Moon tarot, it's helping me get my brain around the deck.

    Acacia from AT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be hard pressed to believe anyone reads cards like I do :-)
    Isn't that Cairo blog marvelous? It's been my dream as long as I can remeember to visit Egypt. Thanks for visiting Quirkeries!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn