Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Charity

Daily Draw: Halloween Tarot ~ 6 of Pumpkins

Charitable giving has been in the news in the US lately in relation to $150,000.00 in clothing expenditures. I don't know anyone who needs charitable donations that has a good use for a $300.00 pair of high heel shoes. I have worked for organizations that accept clothing donations and they all say the same thing. They don't need evening dresses and high heels, they need jeans and flannel shirts, hard wearing work shoes and warm serviceable coats.

I'm reminded by this card of how quickly we get out of touch with the real day to day lives of those in need. My husband has been out of work for 2 months now; we've pared back considerably, but we were pretty frugal to begin with thanks to Mary Hunt's Debt Proof Living and Simple Living. I've drafted a list for 'if or when the real financial depression comes'. I'm also thankful to FlyLady for teaching me what I should have known all along...the difference between want and need, and between taking charity and being my own helping hand.

"Give a man a fish; feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish; feed him for a lifetime" Lao Tzu circa 100 BC

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sharyn

    I like your quote. And I think it is funny, because I once wrote a Tarot tale (using Greers 21 ways to read a tarot card) about the Universal Waite 6 of pentacles with exactly that moral.

    I hope you and your husband will be all right. Both me and my husband have been out of employment, so I know by experience how it is.

    By the way - I've put your blog on my blogroll.

    Love, Kristine Gazel

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn