Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Leave It Be

Daily Draw: Lord of the Rings Tarot ~ The Hermit

Tom Bombadil, ancient earth spirit is careful not to get involved. I've never ever looked at the Hermit card from that point of view. I've always thought of the Hermit as withdrawing for a higher purpose as opposed to simply minding his own business.

I'm reminded by this card that not getting involved can save a whole lot of grief and bother and sometimes money. But more often the heart leads when it comes to getting involved and once committed being the Hermit is out of the question. We choose to take responsibility last Sunday. It would have been super easy to ignore the situation, literally turn our head so we didn't have to see. It isn't in our very Hermit-like nature to do that though. I can only hope it all works out without heartbreak all around.

"The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed." ~ Martina Navratilova 1956-

I have been really impressed with this deck. It has been around for 11 years and I didn't even bother looking at it because I assumed it was just one more bad deck based on a theme and jumping on the Lord of the Rings money-making express. Instead the 268 page book is very well researched and written, the cards, while abiding within general Tarot guidelines offer many new ways to see a situation or solution with the help of Middle Earth's viewpoint. And best of all I got to reacquaint myself with the Ents, the true Hermits of the world. Two thumbs up U.S. Games Systems, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. I too had written off this deck, but reading your blog today I think I should give it a second chance. I saw it at the local half price books yesterday and left it there with a little laugh--what a silly deck. Today I'll go back and hope I can still pick it up. Don't know if I should thank you or curse you!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh please don't curse me :-) I think the book helps make the deck much more interesting, get the set if you can. Of course you don't need it for doing readings, the cards are perfectly adequate for that on their own. Thanks for stopping by, Sharyn

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn