Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dadgumit

Daily Draw: Tarot of the Cloisters ~ Ace of Pentacles

A pox upon Eliphas Levi and A. E. Waite, Golden Dawn followers, for renaming the fine old suit of coins pentacles. While the word has a medieval meaning of a table or thing with five corners it is forever and ever more firstly a sigil or talisman of magical protection.

My real complaint is why oh why have publishers and artists continued to name the suit of earth and economics and worldly matters Pentacles? Are they just Sheeple, doing something because the last person did it that way? I don't know why we don't rise up and complain. I would think even Wiccan and Witch would think their pentagram is being subverted and dumbed down to represent a coin of the realm.

I'm reminded by this card that worldly actions and results have to start with someone, hopeless though that mission might be. I feel ill-used every time I work with an otherwise great deck that has the coin suit misnamed.

"Quixotic: Extravagantly chivalrous or foolishly idealistic; visionary; impractical or impracticable." ~ YourDictionary.com

1 comment:

  1. I've always preferred "coins" to "pentacles" for this suit. I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn