Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

I Let Them Slip Away

Daily Draw: Navigators of the Mystic Sea ~ 10 of Cups

In this deck, based on the Golden Dawn Tree of Life tradition, the author has reversed the pips, you begin with the 10's and work up to the aces. So rather than showing us the best life has to offer, we see that inattention or too narrow a focus will allow what we hold dear to slip away from us.

I dreamed last night of my four best friends from high school. I got hugs from them all. It was a wonderful dream and I woke up feeling nurtured. It has been 30 years since I had contact with three of them, yet I know where they are, I have the phone numbers and address of two of them...we may all have nothing but the past in common any more, but why did I let them slip away in the first place? Who has too many friends?

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." ~ Norman Cousins 1912-1990

1 comment:

  1. "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins 1912-1990

    This is a really profound post that ends with a really profound quote. Life is so full of contradictions; it's even embedded in our language and our symbolic systems. Why do we let slip away that which we love most?

    I once read (I think it was from Osho) that a man should contradict himself many times; something that I don't like to do (fear of how I'll be seen; not wanting to let go of what was once important to me).

    When I think back to all the things that I have let slip from my life, I ask the same sorts of questions that you mentioned in your post; usually starting with 'why'?

    The biggest contradiction for me is: with loss brings the feeling of gain. I reflect on all the losses but I gain a connection to what matters most to me in the present.

    I guess the big trick is to be able to live in the moment. Tough to do, easy to say.

    I found this to be a really profound post that, as I read it, brought up all sorts of unanswerable questions. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn