Sunday, January 10, 2010

Old Cloots

Daily Draw: Circle of Life Tarot ~ Devil

Do you believe in a God?
Do you believe in a Devil?
I've been thinking about it since I drew this card. I believe in God, but I understand why others can't. Difficult concept to get a mind around. The Devil? I honestly don't know.

I'm reminded by this card how astounded I am daily by the evil humans do, to themselves and each other. By the misery humans choose to live with. It is entirely possible that I am clinically depressed and the dark side seems blacker than it should but if hell is punishment, how can there ever be punishment enough? Wouldn't the concept of time be lost? If able to recognize punishment for eternity couldn't we still be able to think evil thoughts? Would we? Is breaking the ten commandments enough to send someone to hell? Forever? What about Bernie Madoff? If ten commandant crime is crime, is his crime equal to my stealing a packet of Fizzies when I was nineish? Why not? What about Hitler or Stalin? Would the soldier doing what his government charged him to do, would severely punish him for not doing, stand beside one of those two monsters as equal before the Devil? Is the idea of the Devil orchestrating our evil just one more damn way for humans to blame something or someone else for their actions? Anyway, that's where this card took and left me today. Puzzled.

"It is so stupid of modern civilization to have given up believing in the devil when he is the only explanation of it." ~ Ronald Knox 1888-1957

Lo Scarabeo's only round deck, Circle of Life, are my cards for this week. Art by Maria Distefano, published 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn