Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Snap Out Of It

Daily Draw: Greenwood Tarot ~ 8 of Swords

When I was in my twenties I struggled with seasonal depression. Today they would call it SADD I suppose. All I know is one day I'd get up fine and at some point I would literally feel the darkness wash over me and then for a couple of months I would feel like this card looks.

I'm reminded by this card that depression is real. You can't 'snap out of it', 'get over it', 'put a smile on it', 'fake it until you make it'. It is physical, like a cold or broken leg. You can recover, but it isn't a matter of thinking yourself out of it. I'm reminded by this card to be tender of everyone...depression doesn't show and I have no way of knowing if the person across from me is walking in the dark or the light. Doing a kindness costs nothing, why be stingy with it? It might be the thing that helps someone survive one more black day.

“In depression faith in deliverance, in ultimate restoration, is absent. The pain is unrelenting, and what makes the condition intolerable is the foreknowledge that no remedy will come -- not in a day, an hour, a month, or a minute. It is hopelessness even more than pain that crushes the soul." ~ William Clark Styron 1925-2006

My deck this week is The Greenwood Tarot, art by Chesca Potter, 118 page book by Mark Ryan. Published by Thorsons 1996. The direction of the Greenwood is drawn from the seasonal rhythms and festivals of the Wheel of the Year. It contains pre-Celtic mythology, shamanic mysteries, and ecology. The court cards are birds and animals, the suits are Wands, Arrows, Cups, and Stones.

1 comment:

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn