Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

The Dead Have No Say

Daily Draw: Granny Jones Tarot ~ Death

I've had my final move planned a long time, perhaps even since my teens. Cremation, no service, chucked in the box with my husband. Rob wasn't crazy about the idea, actively opposed it for many years, his best friend in 'Nam was burned to death before his eyes and that was the image he'd see every time I brought it up. For a few years to placate him I said I could stand a coffin if I were buried wrapped in my best quilt, sewing machine bobbined and threaded at my feet, and a needle and thread in my hand.

I'm reminded by this card though, the very idea of having my veins stuffed with chemicals, people staring at me when I'm no longer there, the claustrophobic idea of a closed coffin, the image of mouldering in the grave, and the sheer waste of good land cemeteries occupy have me back in the cremation category. I hope Rob's pain has subsided enough that he can accommodate my wishes. Because the dead have no say in the end.

"I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older; then it dawned on me . . they're cramming for their final exam." ~ George Carlin 1927-2008

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing, Sharyn. I like how you call it the "final move."

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn