Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Real or Memorex?

Daily Draw: Answer Deck ~ Fame

Fame? Not for me; waiting to check out at the grocery, looking at the gossip rags, I'm thankful I'm not any one of those people, not for all the money on earth.

I'm reminded by this card though, of blog counters. There are a lot of ways to set them up, including ways to inflate the visitor count by as many thousands as desired, according to whether the blogger wants an ego counter or an accurate counter. No harm, no foul, no one cares, it's just another internet personality facet.

"I'm never going to be famous. My name will never be writ large on the roster of Those Who Do Things. I don't do any thing. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that any more." ~ Dorothy Parker 1893-1967

3 comments:

  1. I like that quote. :) Yes, fame is a funny thing. On the one hand I think most of us enjoy a bit of it but I wouldn't want to be one of those hounded by paparazzi day in, day out.
    I would love my visitor counter to be accurate but I fear the thing counts my own visits, too. Anyhow...that's an interesting deck, I've never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharyn,

    Your blog and insights are both refershingly real and quite memorable, and make a positive impact on your readers. That's all the "fame" you'll ever need. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, this card came up for me one morning, I thought "O good today I'll get famous!" Got to the car opened the door and went to put my sunglasses on.
    Iost them. looked everywhere, every inch of my car and room. repaid some karmic debt by returning(instead of keeping) 20$ a coworker had lost on the job, with which i could have bought two pair of the sunglasses that held so much sentiment to me btw. Later that day had to go into my trunk to get something and there they were. right were they weren't the day before.
    So anyway after many weeks of further cheating the sunglass Gods enough times through rebuilding them continuously with superglue and a bit of afro-engineering I went to my deck as i often do before work and pulled the fame card.
    My first thought of course was fame, but I stopped and suddenly came the to realization that my sunglasses were about to come under seeminingly coincidential cosmic circumstances that would end in their destruction!
    I should have grabbed the case for them but figured I'd tempt fate, "I did it ironically so I think Im safe -one hour later-" i set them on banister out of the way and was working outside alone.
    It was just dark enough that you couldn't tell the stones from the pavement. Tho I knew where I placed my sunglasses, I reached out my hand to the backside of the banister and grabbed only wood. I took a step backward and thought "O great, this is where i lose my" CRUNCH!!!.... self fulfilling prophecy?, coincidence?, fate?! who knows. But I am definitely going to glue them back together, and put a string on them.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn