Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Success

Daily Draw: Rider Waite Jubilee 10 of Coins

How to measure success in the worldly realm? At 20? At 30? At 40? At 50? At 60? At 70? At 80? At 90?

I'm reminded by this card of how differently success is determined according to age. In my 20's finally having a dinette set of my own was quite a personal feather in my cap. 30's..our first house, so wonderful not to worry about smudging someone else's wall, and not getting up every day to an eggshell white world. Color! I painted it everywhere. But the scales will always tip, lost my father, had numerous surgeries. 40's...We really were coming in proper financial success; we both had management jobs, a good start on savings and retirement, the American dream home on 2.5 acres. Then the economy tanked, Rob had 13 jobs in 15 years (all 13 of those companies went out of business, Big companies!) and it turned out we'd bought the house from hell.

I'm reminded by this card our 50's have been in recovery mode. We've come to terms with knowing at this moment we have everything we need...but we are surrounded by couples our age who believed the same thing and are going into their future dead broke or deep in debt. The world is a funny old place, and I don't think anyone truthful will say they have a 10 of Coins life. You don't get to this age without some deep pain and loss which will always temper the good times. But 10 of Coins days? Absolutely.

"If I have been of service, if I have glimpsed more of the nature and essence of ultimate good, if I am inspired to reach wider horizons of thought and action, if I am at peace with myself, it has been a successful day." ~ Alex Noble

1 comment:

  1. Good idea to think back over successes and non-successes. It gives a pattern to life and also gives me hope and satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn