Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fairy Bower or Bosh?

Daily Draw: Universal Fantasy Tarot ~ Temperance

Do you believe in fairy folk? Many do. Do you believe they inhabit your own backyard? Or only live in the forest wilds? Do you believe they are invisible to the human eye? They never ever under any circumstances interact with humans? Do you believe they can curse or reward? Do you believe they are sitting on your desk right now?

I'm reminded by this card of what Temperance means. Somewhere between total scoffing disbelief and total swallow the whole hog. I fall in the disbelief side of the fence, but I'm very happy to encourage someone else's total belief. Is that temperate? I know I have a fairy oracle that treats it's Fae as adults with minds and personalities that works a treat. I don't let it out often because they play tricks on me and laugh at me... I know I've seen a lot of fairy tarot decks and oracles that make my fillings hurt they are so sweet. That sell like hotcakes. So where is the line? Do you believe?

Why should we strive, with cynic frown,
To knock their fairy castles down?
Eliza Cook 1818-1889

The deck this week is Universal Fantasy Tarot whose incredible artwork is by Paolo Martinello. Published 2006 by Lo Scarabeo, distributed by Lewellyn Worldwide in the U.S.; last used on Quirkeries in November 2007.

1 comment:

  1. I believe - they live in the woods and my yard - sometimes coming into the house - but only courtiously, most of the time. I do have some that like to play tricks and hide things - makes life interesting, for sure.

    I agree - the sweet, sticky kind are way out of my radar. Sometimes fairies laugh and make a jest - even at our expense, because, let's face it, we are just too funny sometimes. I've met believers, unbelievers and those who aren't sure - I think we all make a great group - whoever we are.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn