Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Overdue Payment

Daily Draw: Golden Tarot of the Renaissance ~ Justice

This card always raises my blood pressure; how will I ever account for my sins? When will the bill come due? How will I know if the scales are ever balanced? Is that even possible? Good works can't balance sin...it's all well and good to confess and beg forgiveness, but that's just a scale with no balance at all, how can that atone?

I'm reminded by this card sin and payment are much like the electric meter. It is paid in full yet the meter spins and before the stamp is on the envelope I owe again. I wonder if I could make even one day sinless. I sincerely doubt it.

"All anger is not sinful, because some degree of it, and on some occasions, is inevitable. But it becomes sinful when it is conceived upon slight and inadequate provocation, and when it continues long." ~ Wilson Mizner 1876-1933

edited to add, this evening: It took me under two hours to lose my temper and swear this morning. Depending on who you ask, that could be either the longest record or the shortest record. And I was trying so hard...

2 comments:

  1. There is a phrase in AA's book that goes, "there is a bit of good in the worst of us and a bit of bad in the best of us." I think this is why the scales are balanced. As long as we strive/intend to do good (progress not perfection), the scales stay balanced. When our ego tells us we have more important things to be doing than worrying about our spiritual evolution, things get out of whack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a saying that "there is a bit of good in the worst of us and a bit of bad in the best of us." I think those scales will stay balanced as long as we sincerely TRY to do what is right - spiritual progress rather than perfection. :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn