Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Can We Triumph Over Time?

Daily Draw: Buckland Romani Tarot ~ 6 of Wands

The horse has won a race and the air is filled with testosterone. Six carriage whips flick madly, eyes being of no consequence. Horses were critical to life of the gypsy caravan for wagering, transportation, and pulling the Vardo. Did you know there is a breed and gypsy horse association? A Cob, smaller and slimmer than a Clydesdale but with the beautifully fringed lower leg. Did you know a good whip like this runs 200-300.00 dollars now? Obviously my card has once again taken me on an info-journey.

I'm reminded by this Romani deck and my focus of study on Australia this year, how very little I know about other cultures. Certainly a flaw in the American education, certainly a by-product of age and sieve-like memory. These whips, the wagon, and the Vardos were no doubt crafted by the Romani rather than purchased at the corner shop. I hope our victory implied by this card is that those skills have not died along with so many other crafts but continue to be honed, somewhere.

"Isn't it strange? The same people who laugh at gypsy fortune tellers take economists seriously." ~ Cincinnati Enquirer

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharyn,

    Absolutely loving your foray into the Buckland Romani Tarot. Also, the quote in this post had me laughing out loud! Thanks :-)
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the variety of all of your tidbits of information. I have the same passion/obsession when I come across something I don't know about or understand. That's why I've been researching the origin of crows for the last hour while I've been on hold with the GA Dept. of Revenue. :)
    At least I wasn't bored...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn