Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Vardo Life vs. Orphanage Life

Daily Draw: Buckland Romani Tarot ~ Empress

Mr. Buckland's book tells us the Romani juvvel is the power behind the throne, the real decision maker in the family. True in many cultures if you think about it, but power and options are relative to the situation. No daycare on the road, so mothers would often leave their children at the orphanages that came into being in the 1800's. There are records of gypsys who would do this up to a dozen times before the orphanages would refuse their return.

I'm reminded by this card I've been in a Vardo. Charming and beautiful as they are, the reality of six or so people living in one full time, on the move, through hard thin times, as outcasts, and I can begin to see her wisdom...We may think of Charles Dickens type conditions but perhaps they were better than what she could offer?

"It always comes as a surprise
When I feel my withered roots begin to grow
Well I never had a place that I could call my very own
That's all right, my love, 'cause you're my home"
Billy Joel ~ 1949-

1 comment:

  1. What a awful place to be in, to have to make such an agonizing choice.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn