Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Big Bulging Brain

Daily Draw: Thousand and One Nights Tarot ~ Knight of Wands

I'm astounded by this turban, which of course led me info-junkieing around the web. I learned a lot I didn't know about turbans, Muslims, Sikhs, but not where or why one this big would be worn. He rides before a pillar of clouds, in the mid-distance a woman with sheep is watching him go, in the far distance the pillar of a minaret...both on the left/past side. Maybe he is leaving. On purpose? With a purpose? A knight of the wands suit is not a sitter, he is a doer.

I'm reminded by this card maybe that wrap is simply to hold a big bulging brain. Each day I'm confronted with how little I know about anything at all and I feel diminished and powerless. And sometimes a turban is just a hat and nothing more.

"There was once a man in Ispahan Ever and ever so long ago, And he had a head, the phrenologists said, That fitted him for a show. For his modesty's bump was so large a lump (Nature, they said, had taken a freak) That its summit stood far above the wood Of his hair, like a mountain peak. So modest a man in all Ispahan, Over and over again they swore -- So humble and meek, you would vainly seek; None ever was found before. Meantime the hump of that awful bump Into the heavens contrived to get To so great a height that they called the wight The man with the minaret. There wasn't a man in all Ispahan Prouder, or louder in praise of his chump: With a tireless tongue and a brazen lung He bragged of that beautiful bump Till the Shah in a rage sent a trusty page Bearing a sack and a bow-string too, And that gentle child explained as he smiled:"A little present for you. "The saddest man in all Ispahan, Sniffed at the gift, yet accepted the same. "If I'd lived," said he, "my humility had given me deathless fame!" --Sukker Uffro"

(Sukker Uffro: IMMODEST, adj. Having a strong sense of one's own merit, coupled with a feeble conception of worth in others." ~ Ambrose Bierce 1842-1914

1 comment:

  1. Dang, that is one heck of a turban. I sometimes feel like my head is so full of things to do each day, that it must resemble this knight's: Fill out the financial aid info for my college bound daughter, yardwork, chasing cats and dogs down to put on their flea/tick oils, figure out what's for supper, buy birthday presents... and the list goes on. :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn