Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Jishuku

Daily Draw: Thousand and One Nights Tarot ~ 2 of Wands

In the face of their incredible loss and mounting danger our friends in Japan, without any kind of order or proclamation have come together as a nation and have imposed a general type of self-restraint. Lights are lower, voices are quieter, wants step aside for needs.

I look at this card and see the two figures who have stepped back and taken a look at the big picture and I can only hope for the same for myself. Our long term needs are far more important than the short term ones. Those are often granted today and completely forgotten about tomorrow. I've already drawn this card six times in 2011, perhaps this is the point it has been trying to pound home all along.

"Grant that I may become beautiful in my soul within, and that all my external possessions may be in harmony with my inner self. May I consider the wise to be rich, and may I have such riches as only a person of self-restraint can bear or endure." ~ Plato 428-348 BC

1 comment:

  1. Lovely card, wonderful post. The Japanese people amaze me with their sense of equanimity. My daughter is doing a research paper on the J-A internment during WWII. Even then, they showed self-restraint; had the Americans been forced to endure such treatment in their own homeland, I'm sure there would have been much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn