Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

O frabjous day!

Daily Draw: Thousand and One Nights Tarot ~ Chariot

I wonder how they keep that basket carrier on the camel. Makes my neck hurt just thinking about all that lurching about.

I'm reminded by this card what people will endure in the name of fame, fortune, celebrityhood. From my viewpoint it is a crazy life, one to be avoided. From their viewpoint they'd probably rather be dead than live my life. Shout hurray, the world is large enough for all of us and our differences are what make life worth living and celebrating.

"Come to my arms, my beamish boy! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!' He chortled in his joy." ~ Jabberwocky, Lewis Carroll- Charles Lutwidge Dodgson 1831-1898

This visually stunning deck is from Lo Scarabeo 2005, art by Leon Carre (1888-1942), graphics by Pietro Alligo. Based on the collection of Ancient Eastern stories and fables (also known as the Arabian Knights) the oldest Arabic manuscript dates from the fourteenth century, although scholarship generally dates the collection's genesis to somewhere between AD 800–900. There is no associated deck book, so if the reader is very familiar with the multi-volume tales they might know which story each card art is alluding to. I haven't read the books so I'm basing my readings on the art before me...your mileage may vary.

The original art by Leon Carre was painted in miniature for an edition of Sir Richard Burton's late nineteenth century translation of these stories. It was published in twelve volumes in the1920s. Assouline Publishing has now printed an abridged version of this masterpiece.

1 comment:

  1. What a decadent deck - such lovely illustrations. I'll look forward to seeing more of these cards this week. Your post made me think of the soon-to-be princess of England. Hope she's ready for the camel ride she's about to experience.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn