Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Seeking Sanctuary

Daily Draw: Songs For The Journey Home ~ 4 of Swords

We know when we need to seek a place to nurture the inside us, the one that screams when we pile on one more chore, agree to one more activity; when we need a silent retreat rather than a noisy vacation.

I'm reminded by this card of my own sanctuary here, and a passage I recently read.

"When despair for the world grows in me, and I wake in the night at the least sound in fear of what my life may be -- I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief. I come into the presence of still water. And I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." ~ Wendell Berry 1934-

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know how much I needed to read what you have in your post until after I read it. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn