Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Wishing

Daily Draw: Deviant Moon Tarot ~ 9 of Cups

I deeply dislike this interpretation (widely held) of the nine of cups as the Wish card. Is that really what they tell their clients clamoring for fortune-telling readings? Your wishes will come true? Codswallop.

I'm reminded by this card just how much real work is involved to make wishes come true. Nothing wrong with daydreams, as long as we admit what they are and acknowledge to ourselves they won't happen until we rename them goals and get off our lazy bums.

"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." ~ Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette 1873-1954

3 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad to hear someone else feels the same way I do about the "Wish Card" - what a bunch of fluff. Fulfillment will come to those who don't mind putting forth a bit of effort (rather than sitting on their bums rubbing a magic lamp).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a great nine. Such an interesting deck. I like your take on this card. I agree that there is rarely a simple instance of a wish being granted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes see this card as "be careful what you wish for..." :-) while a friend of mine calls it the nooky card ;-) However, I more often see it as feeling smug about having everything going right emotionally, which begs the question, "what's going on that isn't being acknowledged?" This particular card seems to fit well with the first interpretation - be careful what you wish for - all those stories of genies and leprechauns cursing people with wishes... And that brings us back to your point - people so often want to be just handed something for free, but few things really are!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn