Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Conflict

Daily Draw: Dürer Tarot ~ 5 of Wands

I know people who wouldn't own this deck because this image of conflict gives a first impression of animal cruelty. Given the time to both look and see, they would know the entire suit of Wands is dedicated to this king of the jungle. To my view this is a training exercise that has gone on too long and both partners are tired.

I'm reminded by this card I often see or create conflict where there is none, simply because I'm tired or cranky. For all I know it might even be a common human trait. Time to take a break, do something else, trade places.

"Conflict is the gadfly of thought. It stirs us to observation and memory. It instigates to invention. It shocks us out of sheeplike passivity, and sets us at noting and contriving." ~ John Dewey 1859-1952

The deck this week is one of Lo Scarabeo's most beautiful historical art decks, basing the tarot on the allegorical style of Albrecth Dürer (1471-1528). Wands feature lions, Swords the fox, Cups the white dove, Coins an eagle. Published 2002.

1 comment:

  1. Does the lion in the wands suit represent the passions/ambitions of others (or ourselves)?
    My money is on the lion... :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn