Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

False Colors

Daily Draw: Shakespeare Oracle Tarot ~ Page of Swords

Viola from Twelfth Night, disguised as a male page employed by Duke Orsino, finds herself in the awkward position of being in love with the duke while carrying out his orders to promote a marriage between the Duke and Olivia.

I'm reminded by this card how quickly life becomes complicated when we are traveling under false colors. It can start with the simplest well meant white lie (you thank the giver for the thoughtfulness of a hideous resin turtle and suddenly you have gift turtles everywhere) (because your friend loves Jane Austen you act interested when she tells you another interminable plot and consequently you find yourself the guest of honor at a weekend movie fest of every version of all the books ever made). Yeah, it's easy to get into not so easy to get out of.

"Having an exit strategy can be a social saver. The key is keeping your little white lie plausible." ~ April Masini 1964-

1 comment:

  1. Gifts are always tricky... If I could just say "thank you for your thoughtfulness" and leave it at that, it would probably be okay. But that Southern upbringing goads me to say more, "I just LOVE turtles! They remind me of when I was a little girl, blah blah blah..."
    Honesty is the best policy, especially if you can do it with tact and grace!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn