Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Have And Have Nots

Daily Draw: Ship of Fools Tarot ~ 5 of Coins

The rich and the poor always have and always will be with us, there is no way to change that division except by our attitude.

I'm reminded by this card when I have plenty, to share; when I have little, to be grateful for what I do have. With two dogs one can never be poor...

From the Narrenschiff: Of Useless Riches:
He who has riches and delights in them,
Paying no heed to those in need,
Will be forsaken so that he too shall beg.

The deck this week is The Ship of Fools Tarot by Brian Williams (1958-2002) published by Llewellyn Worldwide. The cards are based on the 1494 German book Narrenschiff or The Ship of Fools, written by Sabastian Brant. Almost all the cards depicted are pulled directly from the book and required very little alteration to turn them in tarot. Which shows the more things change the more things are the same...humans were fools then and are fools now in spite of the cloak of modernity we hide under. Kit includes 200+ page companion book, also by Brian Williams. This deck is in my top ten favorites and was last seen here in 2007.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about this deck, so I'll look forward to seeing your posts with it this week.
    Interesting that the dogs are drawn to the down-and-out fellow rather than the fool with money. I've always thought dogs (and other animals) could read people much better than people can read each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting deck! I enjoy learning about different decks via your blog (I can't have them all and that's ok!). :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn