Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Fences And Boundaries

Daily Draw: Shining Tribe Tarot ~ 7 of Swords/Birds

This image and it's meaning considerably deviates from the standard Rider-Waite. Many of the cards in this deck are reflections of what Pollack has seen and heard on her world travels. In this case it is the Australian land, sorted by song in the Aboriginal tradition rather than war or maps.

I'm reminded by this card of 'close talking'...something characters on television do, often just inches from each other. It probably has to do with camera angles and close-ups, but in real life people wouldn't stand for it; two or three feet is more like it. Respecting those boundaries is something we do instinctively with every conversation we have.

"Let there be space in your togetherness." ~ Kahlil Gibran 1883-1931

3 comments:

  1. I can definitely see how the illustration of this card refers so much to our ways of communicating and the importance of respecting space. It's a great card and it's relevant to my situation at the moment. This is reminding me that I need to branch out and use my other decks more - not just Rider Waite all the time. There are cards in other decks that don't translate into Rider Waite but can teach me so much and come along at a great time for me :)

    The Four Queens
    http://thefourqueens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite cards in Shining Tribe, it really opened up a lot more meaning to an often very negative card. It also reminds me of a wonderful book by Bruce Chatwin - The Songlines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has always been one of my favourite cards, too :) While it's true that we don't talk close up, that's very cultural - in China it's normal to stand much closer. What does it say about our culture that we need so much distance?

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn