Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

United We Stand

Daily Draw: Wisdom of the Four Winds ~ Kiore

This is the Polynesian Rat...I know, run screaming from the room. But wait, as with everything else in life, there's more, and much to be admired. If food is found, everyone is told. If some are too weak to swim, the strong form a raft upon which the tired or small can rest. Mothers often share a communal nest and nursing care.

I'm reminded by this card if we are open to lessons there is much to be learned from nature. Only the strong survive and pecking order are two terms foreign to ratlife. That alone lifts them above human stature in my eyes.

"When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy." ~ Ingrid Newkirk 1949-

3 comments:

  1. Amazing that rats can be more altruistic than humans...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the fascinating insight into rats. Humans will sometimes do those things, too, but it certainly isn't guaranteed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy." ~ Ingrid Newkirk 1949-

    Which is precisely why I am a strict vegetarian. I'm not too keen on rats, but as rats go, this little guy is kinda cute. Neat deck. I like!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn