Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Careless Love

Daily Draw: Deirdre of the Sorrows Tarot ~ Knight of Cups

A lover, not a fighter is this Knight, albeit a hesitant and haphazard one. Like parenthood, love doesn't come with any instructions and considering the divorce rate in this country it apparently doesn't come with much  patience, tolerance, compassion, or room for compromise.

I'm reminded by this card and many websites like the enrichment journal, the divorce rate in America
for first marriage is 41%
for second marriage is 60%
for third marriage is 73%. It used to be ridiculously difficult to end a bad marriage; I wonder what the underlying reason is behind today's high rates? Is it as simple as unrealistic expectations implanted by entertainment and advertising media? Are we that dumb? This is a deck of sorrows...

"A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you." ~ Margaret Atwood 1939-

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm interesting post. I guess it's all the things you mention, though I also think there is more to it. I can only speak from my personal experience: all the three marriages that I've known closely - my parents and my grandparents, although they lasted, were absolutely miserable. This is out of necessity, cultural norms (Romania is still very traditional, and sexist) and safety for survival.

    I also suspect it's because in the west there is this notion about love being the most important part about marriage, where as in other countries, marriage comes first and love comes afterwards. Not that I think either of these is absolutely right.

    Oh it's such a long and complicated topic! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course there is more too it, books worth! A huge subject and endlessly fascinating. Thanks for stopping by~

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn