Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Caucus

Daily Draw: Wonderland Tarot ~ Wheel

The Wheel represents the Dodo's idea of a Caucus race.

'What is a Caucus-race?' said Alice; not that she wanted much to know,...
'Why,' said the Dodo, 'the best way to explain it is to do it.' 
First it marked out a race-course, in a sort of circle, ('the exact shape doesn't matter,' it said,) and then all the party were placed along the course, here and there. There was no 'One, two, three, and away,' but they began running when they liked, and left off when they liked, so that it was not easy to know when the race was over. However, when they had been running half an hour or so, and were quite dry again, the Dodo suddenly called out 'The race is over!' and they all crowded round it, panting, and asking, 'But who has won?'  Alice in Wonderland, chapter three, Lewis Carroll

Whether we win or lose at life is pretty much like the Caucus race. We all begin at different positions, run different courses, and stop and start when we will. So today I ponder the one-up on the Joneses, status, Salvation Army and Jimmy Choo shoes, royalty and commoners, and why any of us give a rip.


"Nature is indifferent to the survival of the human species, including Americans." ~ 
Adlai E. Stevenson 1835-1914


4 comments:

  1. Hello, Sharlyn. I have just spent a little time reading some of your older posts. I have been following your blog for a few weeks, and enjoy your writing, your insight, and the quotes you choose. Thank you for sharing all this.
    Blessings, Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read all your Wonderland posts and find all of them delightful. Special thanks for adding the snippets from the Alice books.
    Oh, and today's quote is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharyn,

    Really enjoying your Wonderland posts. It's a deck I have, but haven't really gelled with. I think it takes a bit of study, as you're doing, connecting the cards and book. Ah well, maybe one day I'll have the time. Til then, I'm so glad I now understand the Wheel of Fortune card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Carroll had the idea of the political caucus down to a "T." Made me laugh to read the excerpt from the book about it - sounds just like our politicians to me!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn