Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Adrift With The Moon

Daily Draw: Mythic Astrology ~ Cancer

The Greek's mythic patron of marriage and family, Hera honored the loyalty and assistance of the crab by placing it in the sky above, recognized each night forever. In ancient Egyptian myth the constellation was called Scarab for the manner in which the scarab beetle nurtures its larva and was part of the summer solstice celebration.

I'm reminded by this card of our own complex and fractured family relationships. The concept of a gathering which would include Rob and I has become foreign and fraught with pain. The one place it should always be safe to go is no refuge at all. I'm like the ghostly ship in the background of this beautiful image, adrift and simply following the moon which each day puts me right back where I started.

"When did it come to Davy Land that exile is a country of shifting borders, hard to quit yet hard to endure, no matter your wide shoulders, no matter your toughened heart?" ~ Leif Enger 1961-  Peace Like a River

3 comments:

  1. I told my husband yesterday, as we were visiting both his and my family for the holidays, how little it seemed we have in common with those with whom we have blood ties. I've learned to avoid all "hot topics" with them, and ignore any "bait" they throw out to start heated (opinionated) discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful card! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can chose our friends but not our relations.
    While looking at the heavens, see not just the scarab and the moon but all the rest of the stars which also represent all your friends who love and support you

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn