Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Uber-Confident

Daily Draw: The Chinese Tarot ~ Queen of Cups

I have a friend who dresses like this, a bit because she likes showboating, but mostly because she enjoys dressing up. I've seen her go to dinner in anything from Mickey Mouse ears to tiara with outfits to match. I admire her pizazz and confidence.

I'm reminded by this card confidence is a multi-sided word. I wouldn't say "I'm not going because I don't know anyone" because I like to meet new people. I wouldn't think twice about standing up in front of a crowd and teaching or giving a speech. But I seldom even have the nerve to wear a dress to town anymore, in this uber-casual Pacific Northwest where people wear their pajamas to the bank and the grocery store and a color coordinated sweat suit works for eating out, dressing well creates a mild sensation, heads turn. I wish I had the confidence to dress up, there are a lot of beautiful clothes and jewelry going lonely here.

"If I could give you just one gift ever for the rest of your life it would be this. Confidence. It would be the gift of confidence. Either that or a scented candle." ~ David Nicholls 1966-

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I think it's such a shame that you don't feel you can dress up, even a little. I don't dress up much at the moment because what's the point if everything I wear is soon decorated with puke, snot or worse? Still, my cupboard also looks at me disappointedly.

    I also loved your quote - made me chuckle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post about confidence and your friend. I love dressing up, too, but I actually have a low self image.

    That picture does remind me of Mickey Mouse ears (though more elegant)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always well dressed, a life time of working in offices and salons has enforced that. But just no dresses anymore, they almost look bizarre here, no kidding.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your friend sounds like an interesting person!

    I could relate a lot to your comparison between the confidence to speak in public or approaching new people versus wear outstanding clothes in our everyday environments. I used to love dressing very creatively, but the last couple of years I've looked pretty boring. Sometimes I enjoy not standing out due to my visual appearance anymore, but many other times I lament the loss of my courage to do so. Or maybe it's the loss of an environment that would appreciate and encourage creative clothing...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn