Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hand To Mouth

Daily Draw: Gaian Tarot ~ Sorebacks

When it is time for salmon to spawn they leave the ocean and come back to the inland rivers and streams where they were born. I was raised on a 40 acre farm intersected by the East Hoquiam River, and the image on this card was a yearly occurrence. Grandpa called them sorebacks because they were no longer the gleaming silver-grey but pinkish red.

I'm reminded by this card of Grandpa Woods. He worked as a migrant laborer most of his life; my dad was born in a shack on an Oklahoma oil field. With thirteen kids to feed I expect each day's dawning filled grandpa's mind with "where will I find enough food for my family today?". One place was sorebacks that no one else would eat.  I can only imagine that life yet today much of the world is still hand to mouth. How can that be in a world with time and money to burn?

"When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." ~ Dom Helder Camara 1909-1999

2 comments:

  1. Interesting the way you've trimmed the Gaian. :) I've put up a small pic of my trimmed Diamond, as requested! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think many of us live under the illusion that time will last forever... As far as money, I think credit cards were one of the worst inventions ever.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn