Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

I Have To Ask

Daily Draw: The Classic Tarot DellaRocca ~ Queen of Wands

I look at the raiment; silk, brocade, satin, elegant trims, dainty little shoes, and wonder how they ever got them clean. There isn't anything cloth in her attire that wouldn't require dry cleaning today. And the ancient Egyptians with their beautiful linens, much of which was worn knife pleated. Ever own a linen skirt? You look at it, it wrinkles...what did they use to press with?

I'm reminded by this beautiful queen the scientists and archaeologists don't have a lock on the why and how questions, I'm full of them.  I think I'll give this queen a ring, see does she want to do lunch. I'll bet she'll literally give me the clothes off her back in trade for my modern wonder fabrics.

"Would that you could meet the sun and the wind with more of your body and less of your raiment." ~ Kahlil Gibran 1883-1930

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking she would love a pair of blue jeans and a Nike t-shirt that says "Just Do It" on it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder about similar things as you did with the fabric here, especially when it comes to wearing clothes and certain kinds of work. How did it feel to carry around all these layers and layers of clothing? Did people have chronic backpain, or were they used to being weighed down like that? How does a certain garment change the way a body moves? How long could a dress like that be worn before it was considered to be not good enough anymore? And what happened to it then? You get the idea...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn