Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

New Century, Same Old Long-Johns

Daily Draw: III Millennium Tarot ~ 2 of Swords

This figure has been involved in something and regardless of reasons it turned out to be a poor choice; he is tattered and bandaged, the flag appears to have been replaced with worn long-johns, stumpy is being carried by the drummer or perhaps clinging to the company keg.

I'm reminded by this card I've often lost the Medieval to technological battle, can anyone say Sony Beta? iPod? Dotcom bust? Edsel? Somewhere someone is no doubt using all these things successfully, me, those are my long-johns of surrender. I still carry the flag though, they'll pry the technology that does work for me, whatever form it takes, from my cold dead hands.

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course--the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." ~ Douglas Adams 1952-2001

Tarot of the III Millennium, published 2000 by Lo Scarabeo as their nod to Y2K, Art by Iassen Ghiuselev, the whole deck is as much an unfinished puzzle as is our III Millennium. Most of the courts are in full color with pseudo web links that lead nowhere; minors are black and white with small Marseilles inserts, many of the scenes depicted form puzzle pieces with other cards, but quoting Ric Minnelli at Lo Scarabeo those groupings do not form a complete or symbolic image, they just are. Quoting the little companion leaflet the deck is made up of Medieval iconography, technological elements, fragments, and color choices. The majors are what draw many readers to this deck, art by the same hand but more minimalist in style and stunning. 

2 comments:

  1. This card reminds me of my husband, who was dragged kicking and screaming into the technological revolution. But now that he's learned to use some of it (computer, ipod, cell phone), I don't think he would give it up easily! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D great post Sharyn. I still can't SMS on my mobile but I know HTML code. This deck is such a wonderful mess, never saw a card that had a barcode before! I seen the majors of this deck and they are amazing, but I quite like the 'dirty and earthy' minors too. Will be fun to follow you this week.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn