Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Gather and Release

Proverbi Figurati ~ Something To Gather
The workhorses of the world, the donkey/ass/burro has been a choice beast of burden, seemingly since time began. Anywhere animals can be used to turn a profit, the option for abuse reigns high. Did you know they shouldn't be carrying work loads until fully mature, 5-7 years old? And you wouldn't know from watching movies and travelogues, regardless of the size they shouldn't be carrying more than a quarter of their own weight.

What can I gather from the caring ministrations to the small burro shown? Proper care maintains value; everyone and everything can use a kind word and touch; when I'm blue all I have to do is step outside and my goats and hens will return my loving care with succor and comfort.

Something To Release
From the placement of the rear figure's hand perhaps this slave or beggar is being drawn back from the abyss. If he were being pushed into the pit that hand would more likely be centered mid-back.

What can I release? Oh, but if I could...That hand is mine. It keeps drawing back black tape loops to run over and over in my mind. My mental screams of stop it, stop it, let me go just echo hollowly, bypassing the tapes entirely, that run and run and run.

Mitelli's Proverbs? Googlishly translated:
He who washes his ass loses time and soap.
Blind lead the blind, both fall into the pit. 

Something different this week, neither tarot or oracle, Proverbi Figurati, a gift set of 48 cards produced by IL Meneghello in 1985, featuring the prints and proverbs of Giuseppe Maria Mitelli 1634-1718 whose book Proverbi Figurati was published in 1678.

2 comments:

  1. I just KNEW you'd be the perfect person to interpret these cards! :)
    I had no idea that a donkey/burro should only carry a quarter of its own weight. I'm sure that rarely happens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far easier and cost effective to just breed more, break them down, kick them to the curb, and grab another.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn