Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Charity Clarity

Daily Draw: Minchiate ~ Charity

One of the four classic Virtues, Charity. To tell the truth, I'm not sure what defines charity, for me. Is it anything that is tax deductible? Is it charitable thoughts rather than judgmental or gossipy ones? Is it pennies and pounds and rubles to a cause regardless of the cause's intent? 

I'm reminded by this card much of my mind is a muddle which is why I show up here every day, it makes me think. Look for the need, rather than a cause?

"Too many have dispensed with generosity in order to practice charity." ~ Albert Camus 1913-1960

edited to add later: Wondering what the Virtue Charity meant in context when these cards were designed I find Charity had more to do with extreme godly devotion and much less to do with sharing bounty.  Bundle priest business was no doubt very good indeed. My first uncharitable thought for the day...

2 comments:

  1. Lovely quote. I think I prefer generosity to charity also. Generous is something we can be every day on all levels, it speaks of sharing with abundancy and joy, charity speaks to me more of 'shoulds and woulds' a measuring out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reminded of the joke...'I will throw my goods into the air and what god can catch, he can keep'...or some such :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn