Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Thar She Blows

Daily Draw: Minchiate ~ Water

Hey, an Elemental card turns up! Fairly choppy water, a ship that could be commercial, military, privateer, pirate; ahead lies smoother water and a distant ship. And a 'Thar she blows' in the lower right. Given the time this was set in the rainbow flag gave me a smile...

The Minchiate era would put this ship dead center in whaling, the slave trade and the exodus from Europe to North America with return hauls of lumber and cotton. It would have been at the pinnacle of shipbuilding trade, little would they know the end was in sight with the coming motorized steel behemoths.  I'm reminded by this card of the one time I was on a wind powered vessel, the incredibly peaceful silence, broken only by the creak of vessel and rope. Lovely. And my dad's perpetual promise, "when my ship comes in, we'll..."

"For the truth is that I already know my fate. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." ~ Richard Bode, First You Have to Row a Little Boat

1 comment:

  1. This is marvelous. I love images of old ships, especially if a krakken is involved. The rainbow flag, however, makes up for the lack of krakken.

    I love the quotes you have on every post.

    Hope you're well!

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn