Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Shortsighted Indifference

Daily Draw: Toltec Oracle ~ Tlalok Source of Life

A search for Tlaloc turns up this sculpture which now stands outside the Mexico City Museum of Anthropology. So named source of life because it is the deity of water. No water,  no life.

I'm reminded by this card water is the first thing looked for on other planets. We can cover ourselves and create artificial sun in enclosed communities, but without a source of water from sky or earth the exercise is pointless, regardless of how many billions gets thrown at it. Closer to home, we are upside down in our priorities; we carpet deserts with golf courses and green lawns, yet worry about running out of oil. In 2000 years some new civilization will shake their heads at our shortsightedness. 

"In an age when man has forgotten his origins and is blind even to his most essential needs for survival, water along with other resources has become the victim of his indifference." ~ Rachel Carson 1907-1964

4 comments:

  1. Shortsighted indeed. Our society wants what it wants - and lets the generations to come worry about the mess we make of things.
    Does a book come with this set of cards, or are you just doing outside research to supplement them? I've enjoyed all your posts this week with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both. When I was doing my Mesoamerican focused study last year I was getting good at actually being able to read/make sense of the carved shapes...mostly lost now :) None of them had a written language which is how some determine a civilization, but I can't image how someone could think of these complicated cultures as not being a civilization. Their counting was a convoluted method using knots in ropes.

    This isn't my favorite set of Mesoamerican cards. Sanchez has spent a lot of years studying the Toltec, both ancient and current but a lot of his words are spelled away from the norm like today's Tlalok

    Next week is the Wisdom of the Maya, who preceded the Toltecs. If I'd thought harder I could have used them in their proper order. Maybe I'll remember next time around.

    thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So inquiring minds are wondering what your favorite Mesoamerican deck is. :) And what book would you recommend for studying the Mesoamerican culture?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll tell you when I'm finished...media mail is cheap, would you like to borrow the books I have? Happy to share...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn