Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Consequential Growth

Daily Draw: Shakespeare Oracle Tarot ~ 2 of Swords

I just finished the last of the complete collected  works of Shakespeare this week, a four year slog. To be frank, most of it was a big yawn. Right now I'm reading The History Of Salt by Mark Kurlansky which in truth I'm finding far more interesting and entertaining than the Bard.

But...I'm reminded by this card and all the times I've quoted his words here on Quirkeries, taken in small doses I admire his wit and wordsmithing. Without the two swords of choice and consequence, or in Shakespeare's words, to be or not to be, we would sit mildewing, and be bored out of our gourds. Consequences are a growth opportunity for the thinking person.

"To be or not to be, that is the question." Hamlet 3.1.56 ~ William Shakespeare 1564-1616

The deck this week is the oddly titled Shakespeare Oracle which is a deck of 78 cards with all the Majors, all the Minors, and all the Courts which makes it tarot. Published by Fair Winds Press 2003, the made to last cased kit includes a 176 page companion book by A. Bronwyn Llewellyn, cards are illustrated by Cynthia von Buhler. The suits are Chalices, Coins, Quills, Septers.

3 comments:

  1. I'm like you, the parts are greater than the whole, when it comes to Shakespeare. But I did enjoy reading Macbeth, now that I think about it. This oracle/tarot intrigues me, and I look forward to your draws this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a deck you don't own?
    thud...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is one of my favorite Tarot cards ever. I have it out of the deck up on my wall above my writing desk.

    I am a big Shakespeare fan, though. My childhood was saturated in the Bard. My mom was doing her dissertation on him when I was a kid, and we would go to see performances of his plays all the time. I've actually not sat down and read a whole lot of his work--it's so dynamic and fun when performed, I could definitely see how it would be a slog to read through. (Although I'd probably still enjoy it;)

    History of Salt is a great book!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn