Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Washed In Words

Daily Draw: Shakespeare Oracle Tarot ~ Magician

Books and movies take us to somewhere else. Close the book, walk out of the theater and we're back, but slightly changed for having supped the writer's magic.

I'm reminded by this card and Shakespeare's tomes of words how much I've always loved books.  Oh what anticipation when the bookmobile made it's bi-weekly rounds to our little country community. I remember visits to the Hoquiam Library, the sounds of the big cased clock ticking, the little oak chairs just my size, a building full of stories and knowledge for the taking. Thank you Ollie E. Camp for teaching me to read.

"When you sell a man a book you don't sell just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue, you sell him a whole new life. Love and friendship and humor and ships at sea by night. There's all heaven and earth in a book, a real book." ~ Christopher Morley 1890-1957

6 comments:

  1. Books are the most wonderful gift. As far back as I can remember, books have been a part of my life. Back in my early teens, I'd take the bus to the library and check out as many books as I could carry. Read them and go back for more. The bigger the book, the better for me. I would get so involved in the story and characters, I never wanted it to end :(.

    I am grateful for libraries. I am also grateful for the sale book bin at the book store, you know, the books no one buys. Many books I have found for almost no cost. And so grateful for second hand stores.
    :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a business partner who claimed she'd never read a book outside of school. Amazing.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books are wonderful indeed. one of the best pleasures life has to offer, as far as I'm concerned. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'd forgotten all about the bookmobile that we used to frequent when we lived in a rural community! I count the ability to read as one of the greatest gifts I've ever received, and can't imagine not having access to books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way, way back right out of school, I worked for the public library. A dream job and often, in hindsight, wish I stayed there. Anyway, part of my job was to make sure the two bookmobiles had their books ... the ones requested. Now they will bring you books right to your door. A service the seniors appreciate. They will even pick the books if you tell them the subjects, authors etc.

    I love books!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! you made me remember I did volunteer work for three libraries when we lived in Portland and Tigard. I'd completely forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn