Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Implacable Progress

Daily Draw: Native American Tarot ~ 4 of Swords

The lowest official estimate of plains buffalo in 1850 was 30-50 million. The plains Indian's life was based on them. Food, clothing, dung for fire, tipi material and much more. By 1884 the herds were gone, victims of blind greed and human progress, just a commodity for the taking.

I'm reminded by this card to appreciate what I have while I have it. In ten years it might all be a memory. We certainly can't go on as we are.

"For as long as they have existed, people have inhabited, altered, and been affected by the nonhuman natural world. To assume an unchanging, harmonious environment between the two begs to class both culture and nature as static." ~ Andrew C. Isenberg, Destruction of the Bison, 2000.

4 comments:

  1. Huh. I have always overlooked and dismissed this deck, but your posts are making me rethink it. I guess there is a lesson there to be learned about the value of thoughtful consideration instead of easy quick judgements. ;) Actually that is a lesson the universe has been trying to teach me for years, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't know how I'd rate this deck. It deserves further exploration, but I'm not in a very good place right now to do that.

    I also live in an area where the indians have been over run and victimized and see the results.

    My ancestors on my paternal grandfathers side were part of the trail of tears and that also affects how I see this deck. All in all it has been a rather down week of draws.

    The LWB is very good by the way, and there are many nations included from Siberian to Aztec.

    thanks for stopping by, Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that was my concern when I initially dismissed it. I'm just wary in general of NA decks, the whole "new age" world has been pretty appropriative and dismissive of their experiences.

    Sorry it's been a down week of draws in a down time. <3 Hoping things pick up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read this post and remembered a beautiful Robert F.Young's novelette, "To Fell a Tree" - the very last words of the book when one of the supporting characters says (meaning American bisons): "Fifty million of them. Fifty Million!"

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn