Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Protection and Support

Daily Draw: Grand Etteilla Tarot ~ Snake

In traditional decks this is the Empress card, the ultimate mother figure. Here it is referred to as Snake, which provokes hostility yet gives help and protection. Well, that's pretty much mothers in a nutshell...

I'm reminded by this card I'm headed north in a few minutes to see both my mother and my sister. I only wish I could offer some protection and support to both.

"Cry not for succor this day; surely you shall not be given help." ~ Quran 651 AD

Like the Minchiate deck I used in March, this weeks Grand Etteilla is a tarot that isn't a tarot. Sort of. It dates back to the late 1700's and is based on the idea that tarot came out of Egypt with Gypsies. It was also the first deck designed for esoteric purposes, prior to that tarot was used for gaming. A beautiful deck, meant to be used both upright and reversed. This is the 1977 edition published by Grimaud France.

2 comments:

  1. Just showing up IS support, dear friend. And they know you love them, which will offer them comfort.
    This looks like a lovely deck; I'll be following your posts eagerly this week.
    (Had a good laugh at the mother comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful card! And I'm certain you embody that loving energy in the Empress.

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn