Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

The Wheel

Daily Draw: Ancient Egyptian Tarot ~ Prince/Knight of Cups

One of the Hyksos invasions of Egypt is thought to be the first time the Egyptians had seen either horses or wheels. This was around 1600 BC, thousands of years after the real height of the civilization. They spent the next several hundred years buying breeding stock and working on wheel engineering. This work was primarily the responsibility of the army.

I'm reminded by this card of the sheer terrified amazement the Egyptian army must have felt, standing there with their wooden arrows and cowhide shields when they saw the fearsome war machines of the Hyksos rolling toward them. This is where the Prince/Knights of the land come into their own though, those who stand and serve to preserve what we have, to their ultimate cost. I talked to the nicest young Iraqi man for about an hour yesterday. I wonder if I would have had the same conversation with this young prince, standing in the sunshine of Iraq?

"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other one, he was a genius." ~ Sid Caesar 1922-

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite decks, though I do not own it yet. Love the bits of history you share as well with each card. It is refreshing to see someone go beyond the cards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ancient Egypt has always been one of my interests and this is one of my favorite decks.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts. Good bad or indifferent; opinions are the lifeblood of conversation and I always learn something from anyone with a new point of view. Thank you for visiting, Sharyn